TOP FINDS AT THE GRAND BAZAAR
Grand shopping at Istanbul's Bazaar...
"With more than 58 streets, over 1,200 shops and between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily, it's a bustling, well-known city attraction for tourists seeking jewelry, pottery, spice, carpet shops, and a good laugh."
We caught up with Tuncel Toprak, owner and manager of the Witt Istanbul, to discuss what is on everybody's mind when the city of Istanbul is mentioned — The Grand Bazaar...
“The Grand Bazaar is tricky in a way, it is both full of touristy souvenirs and great finds,” says Toprak. “The trick is finding a reliable, trustworthy shop. My recommendations are Dervish, Abdulla and the Erdun Collection.
The next time you are in Istanbul, look out for the following for unique gifts:
1. Natural soap: “Especially daphne soap, which is said to be good for hair loss.” (Dervish and Abdulla)
2. Hamam towels: “They are handmade and purely cotton. I use them personally at home. They may look thin, but they are good for soaking.” (Dervish and Abdulla)
3. Lokum candies: “These are a Turkish tradition, we buy them during holidays.”
4. Carpets: “There are lots of carpet shops, but finding a reliable seller is the most important thing. It is better to ask a local for advice.”
5. Handmade copperware
6. Handmade blankets
7. Lanterns: “Erdun has the best ones. I have them at home and at the hotel. They are so beautiful with candles in them.”